Friday, April 10, 2015

Palettes | A Renoir Palette




Rachelle Greayer’s book, Cultivating Garden Style, introduces the concept of using art for inspiration in your garden. I have been using the palette of Renoir's Dance at Bougival and the Texas spring prairie.

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston



  NAPLES YELLOW     

  CHROME YELLOW


  VERMILLION

  ALIZARIN CRIMSON

  FRENCH ULTRMARINE BLUE

  COBALT BLUE


  VERIDIA N

  EMERALD GREEN

  LEAD WHITE







Spring Prairie Palette
My mother gave me a beautiful basket and I filled it with bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush so I can have the colors of the Texas spring prairie throughout the year in my home.







In My Garden

In my garden the blue larkspur and bluebonnets dance in the spring breeze and later in the season the reds of the hummingbird bush, salvias and turks cap dance with the hummingbirds.


Another grouping is blackfoot daisy, dahlburg daisy, Denver dream miniature rose, and blue fescue. I am looking for a replacement for the blue fescue but otherwise this perennial rock garden does well in full sun. I am a big fan of miniature roses because they do not require as much attention as my other roses.




Fall Garden

My fall Renoir palette garden is for the hummingbirds. It includes hummingbird bush (Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii), pineapple sage, Texas sage, and turk's cap. I am looking for a good blue to include in this grouping.





The photograph below is a fall blue and red combination of salvias in a bed for pollinators.


Red | Texas Sage (Salvia coccinea)




A Lovely Dance in the Tearoom 

My daughter and I meet for lunch at the Dallas Arboretum Tearoom and enjoy the garden throughout the year. The room has a white adobe wash on the fireplace, white and blue on the tables and Chinese porcelain, and silver serving pieces along the walls in display cases. Clearly, the palette of the dancing pair. Japanese woodblock prints and the cobalt blue and white of the chinaware made a deep and lasting impression on the artists of The Impression Era.