Fronds, Ferns, Fiddleheads, and Fossils
This year I had to remove ferns encroaching on a walkway so I thought I would take photographs before digging them out.
They are a very mysterious foliage that seemingly commit to a spot in the garden and thrive. They thrive under the Ginkgo tree, another long surviving plant.
Of course, the fiddleheads unfurl with grace,
the silent music of nature......
Fossil fern phegopteris guyottii
Fern Societies
Ferneries
The Dorrance H. Hamilton Fernery
Botanical phylogeny chart.
Phylogeny Chart
|
DIY___________________________
Hanging baskets and landscape plants are often overlooked as gifts in favor of floral arrangements or a dozen roses which are lovely to receive but a thoughtful gift to any gardener can be an appropriate plant from your local nursery. Once aware of the giftees needs and requirements, (hardiness zone, the home's shadiness, and a preference for wildflowers, roses, foliage plants, succulents, or orchids) a thoughtful gift can be selected readily.If your Mother has a shady tree lined garden, and likes ferns selecting the right one is important.
I have wood ferns and evergreen ferns in my zone 7 garden. If I lived further north I would love hanging baskets filled with ferns, but they do require more attention than I am willing to give them in the heat of the summer. Your local landscape nursery professional can direct you to the best choice for your climate.
In the previous post I treated wildflowers with an "artistic flair" and I am adding cards that you can create or use for an enclosure. This post will be about ferns with a "musical twist," with cards for enclosure that you may use or create yourself. Of course, not everyone appreciates puns so these "ideas" are obviously not for you. If your Mom needs a new washing machine go for it, but if not, she might like a fern.


Explore Further.
Ferns
| Author: | Martin Rickard |
|---|---|
| Publisher: | London : Cassell Illustrated, 2003. |
Publisher Synopsis
Oft regarded as dull and Victorian, ferns could not have had a worse press. But if you have a shady corner which you can't fill, you can be sure there is a fern suitable to add presence and
Hyden Photography
for
~Grassroots Horticulture~
2016
__________________________________________________
___________________________________________________








No comments:
Post a Comment