Thursday, March 23, 2017

Iris

__________________________________________________________________________
Last year I started a chart with my Irises, including color, height, and date of bloom. I am curious how this year will compare to last year. Week 1 begins.

What to Plant?
I will be creating a graph for my irises with three important characteristics (1)The initial time sequences of blooms  (2) height, and (3) color family. Iris 'Grain Exchange' was the first to bloom. It is about 38" in height and it is in the yellow color family.  This information, in a graphic form, is especially helpful when you want to create a newly designed bed from scratch. If you have several iris varieties, and would like to include in your garden journal a similar graphic, contact me and I can help you create a chart. It is quite easy.  I am in zone 7-8. 


Irises: Arranged in the chart by first to bloom (x), 
and height (y). 
Each iris will have a bar representing it's color.


I enjoy trying different artistic affects with the irises. Their ruffles, coloration, and shadows lend themselves to experimentation with various flourishes. Enjoy.









Iris Grain Exchange














Louisiana Iris (Iris brevicaulis)Yellow band iris (Iris orientalis), Persian Iris (Iris persica), English iris (Iris latifolia)

Coming soon!


Week 2 //





Iris hollandica 'Gipsy Beauty'
Dutch Iris












Yellow iris, Iris pseudacorus, around a pond







Explore More:

American Iris Society
Missouri Botanical Garden





Grassroots Horticulture
2006-2016
__________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________