Saturday, January 24, 2015

Icy Vintage Refreshment for January

________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________

What's the best temperature for garden work? I like it a brisk 50 - 55 degrees. The mercury has been hovering in this window during the day so this week I checked my sprinkler system because many times the above ground heads crack due to hard freezes. Sure enough there was one that needed to be replaced. 

I remember my Grandfather telling us the story of making trips to the pond on his farm, cutting blocks of ice, and carrying the blocks to the ice house for storage so they would have ice in the summer months. I would have to say changing a sprinkler head is much better than cutting blocks of ice for summer storage. I can check my old thermometer before I head outside in these cold winter months.

My old Green Spot orange aide thermometer pictured here is still a dependable temperature indicator. I keep an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer  in the kitchen but I still like this battery-less old thermometer.  Soda advertisers gave these away to grocery store owners to help promote their products. The term  "Soda" is a dead give away, this was available in the eastern United States. I love to find out about the regional differences and the pride and memories this inspires in baby boomer childhoods'. Fanta, was available in the mid-west USA and was referred to as "pop."  Surely, there was an orange "coke"  available in the south and sold as a refreshing orange flavor drink for the warm summer months?

When the mercury sinks in January our gardening activities slow or cease  Small winter delights like the flowers of helleborus and camelia and the arrival of seasonal fruits like oranges help make the winter more tolerable.

This is just a little reminiscing and refreshment for a  cold winter garden story.

©  Grassroots Horticulture
2000-2015


________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________